Frequently Asked Questions
How do I clean my synthetic wig or synthetic hairpiece?
- First, fill a small hand sink or a large-sized bowl with approximately
2 quarts of COOL WATER. NEVER USE HOT WATER! (hot water will remove the pre-styled curl pattern that is built into a synthetic wig or synthetic hairpiece).
- Add approximately 2 ounces of Synthetic Hair Cleanser to the cool water and swish around to mix. Then you are ready to place the hairpiece or wig into the solution.
- Allow to soak for 5 to 10 minutes, and then swish the piece around in the soapy solution for a minute. Note: If your wig has makeup build-up along the front hairline, we recommended you use an old toothbrush and hand soap to remove this.
- After washing, discard the soapy water. Rinse sink and fill up with clean cool water; sometimes you may want to rinse twice. Shake out excess water.
- After washing, simply lay the hairpiece on a towel to air-dry naturally.
- DO NOT BRUSH WIG WHILE WET.
- DO NOT USE A HAIRDRYER ON WIG.
- This kind of heat can damage fiber hair! If you have a wig, it is recommended that you place it on a wire head form so it dries in its natural round head shape. (Air can pass through a wire form. Air cannot pass through a Styrofoam head form.) Our Traveling Mannequin Headstand is excellent for this purpose.
- We recommended a special Synthetic Fiber Hair Conditioner: It conveniently sprays onto your wig or hairpiece. This conditioner should be used lightly after each washing as well (for longer hairpieces, use each time your hairpiece is worn). Conditioner build up is good and provides a longer life for synthetic hair, eliminates static electricity (which can also damage fiber) and makes fibers look healthy.
Are there any other styling products available for synthetic or human hair synthetic blend wigs and hairpieces?
- Protect & Shine Laminate spray is a product that helps maintain a natural healthy sheen to synthetic hair fiber. As a hairpiece or wig gets used and is washed a number of times, it may start to lose its original sheen.
How do I clean my human hair wigs and hairpieces?
- We recommend that you use the Moisture Retention Shampoo & Conditioning Combo which is exclusively made for human hair wigs & human hair hairpieces.
- First, fill a small hand sink or a large-sized bowl with COOL WATER.
- Add approximately 2 ounces of Moisture Retention Shampoo to the cool water and swish around to mix. Then you are ready to place the human hair hairpiece or wig into the solution.
- Allow to soak for 3-5 minutes, and then swish the piece around in the soapy solution for 1 minute. Note: If your wig has makeup build-up along the front hairline, we recommend you use an old toothbrush to gently remove this.
- Rinse out with COOL WATER and repeat the process above to condition your human wig using 2 ounces of Moisture Retention Conditioner.
- Rinse out with COOL WATER & remove excess water by using Wonder Wrap to help retain moisture & shine.
- Spray on Unlock Detangler liberally throughout hairpiece or wig, do not over saturate.
- DO NOT RINSE UNLOCK OUT!
- Proceed to comb through hair, starting at the ends and work your way up to the base
- You can set it under a hot dryer until dry, or let it naturally air dry overnight.
How do I store my wig?
- The best way to store your wig is on a Mannequin Head coupled with a Head Stand for longer wigs. This will keep your wig fresher and maintain its style between wearings. Keep your wig in a clean place, away from dust, sources of high heat and excessive humidity. Never enclose in a box or plastic bag (except while traveling).
What about cutting, re-setting and coloring my wig or hairpiece?
- We recommended that any cutting, coloring or rinsing, as well as permanently re-curling of your wig or hairpiece, should be done by one of our trained professionals or other professional you trust.
Can the wig be made bigger or smaller to better fit my head?
- Yes, all wigs can be adjusted to fit your needs by tightening or loosening the Velcro tabs located in the back of the wig. If your wig is still too large, you may want to consider purchasing a Wig Stopper. The Wig Stopper has been found to be very beneficial for every wig wearer due to its ability to hold the wig securely and comfortably in place. We feel it is a necessity for people who have experienced total hair loss.
Human Wig vs Synthetic Wig
- A Human Hair wig is a wig made from actual hair. They give you the natural look and feel. They come in various options. They can be cut; curled, styled and so on… basically they are highly adaptable. They may be more expensive but are durable. Its maintenance requires effort just like with real hair.
A Synthetic wig is made from synthetic fibers. This technology has come a long way since its introduction. Some products which are available in the market are so good that you will not be able to tell them apart from a human hair wig unless you are looking for it. Synthetic hair is low on maintenance. The effort required to style, clean and store them is relatively less. They are less expensive too.
Maintenance of Synthetic Wigs
Just because they are low maintenance it does not mean that we must leave it in a state of neglect. Here are some things to remember:
- It can be worn with little or no styling. It can even survive in bad weather
- Do not comb the synthetic wig when it is wet
- Use products which are specifically made to suit the synthetic wig
- Use a synthetic hair comb and not a regular brush
- Be gentle with the hairpiece
- Just pat with a dry towel to dry in case it gets wet
- Place it on a wig stand or a cylindrical box keeping the shape of the synthetic wig in mind, when not in use. This protects the synthetic wig’s shape
- Do not expose it to heat
- Do not try to style it using blow dryers or curlers which use the thermal principle
- Maintain hygiene of your hair to prolong the life of your synthetic hair
Keep in mind, synthetic hair may be good for ruff and tough use but that does not mean you do not have to clean and wash them. Nor does it mean that you wash them like you do real hair.
The general principle to be followed for synthetic wig care is to wash them after a prolonged use of about 12-25 times depending upon the quality and use of the wig. Factor in humidity. If it has been exposed to some odors and smells or seems to need a wash then do so in a gentle manner.